The Print Studio is one of the cornerstone elements of the IBRC. We are open to experienced and novice printmakers alike, and are always happy to share our knowledge of print processes with those who are completely new to the craft.
Our print shop steward, BT Livermore, runs open print hours on Thursday evenings from 5-9pm. It's the best time to come in and learn the ins and outs of the studio, or work on an edition of your own. Learning is always free. Paper, ink, and other materials are available for a small usage fee for those creating their own prints.
Our presses for letterpress, relief, and intaglio printing, and we can now accommodate limited screenprinting as well. Studio users have the option to use our stock of safe, water-based inks, or more traditional, oil-based ink if they desire.
Our print studio is a cozy 550 square feet or so, but is currently home to six able presses:
• 8x12 Chandler & Price Letterpress
• Line-o-Scribe tabletop poster press (bed size: 14x21)
• Vandercook No. 1 proof press (bed size: 14x18)
• Charles Brand etching press (bed size: 18x36)
• Richeson Baby etching press (bed size: 11x19) (out on loan)
• Glen Alps collagraph press (bed size: 40x70)
Other equipment and supplies:
• A 50-rack, 25x36 drying rack
• Multiple, glass-topped work tables
• Basic supplies: brayers, ink knives, gouges, drypoint needles, aprons, cleaning agents
• Some fine printmaking paper
• AKUA water-based ink, and some oil-based options
• A small but growing selection of letterpress type
• Locking storage for regular studio users